Saturday, October 27, 2007

Savory Sunday

This recipe my Mother found in a local newspaper. I made it and I love it! It's very tasty. You know I am not a big fan of frosting and this one is perfect with just a sprinkling of powdered sugar. I do suggest you try it.

Almond Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Makes 16 slices

Vegetable oil spray
flour
1 (18.5-ounce) package plain butter recipe golden cake mix
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
4 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil, such as canola, corn, safflower, soybeen or sunflower
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract

Lightly mist a 10-inch tube pan with vegetable oil spray then dust with flour. Shake out excess flour and set pan aside.

Place cake mix, cream cheese, eggs, water, sugar, oil, vanilla and almond extracts in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to meduim and beat 2 mintues more, scraping the sides down again if needed. The batter should look well blended.

Pour batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula. Place pan in the oven.

Bake cake on center rack of pre-heated 350-degree oven until it is golden brown and springs back when lightly presssed with your finger, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove pan from oven and place iton a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake, invert it onto a rack and then invert it onto a serving platter so that it is right side up. Slice the cake while it is still a little warm.

Makes 1 cake.

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 35 to 40 minutes

Note: Freeze this cake, wrapped in aluminum foil, for up to 6 months. Thaw cake overnight on the counter before serving.

Nutrition facts per slice:

283 calories
15g fat,
5 g saturated fat
69 mg cholesterol
33 g carbohydrates
3 g protein
264 mg sodium
0 g fiber

I submitted a recipe similar to this one which was a french toast. It appears I have a taste for almonds and cream cheese huh? Oh well! If I think its great I am sure you will too!

Bon Appetit'

4 comments:

Virtuous said...

Gurl you trying to increase my waistline! :op

I love me some french toast too though!

Sheila said...

Sounds delicious. I would love to try it and thereafter have to curse myself while on the treadmill...lol

Adrienne said...

This sounds SO good!!!

Still Patrice said...

is the cream cheese rwally prominent once the cake is done? i'm not a cream cheese kinda girl.