Friday, September 14, 2007

Flavorful Friday

I made this recipe after receiving a Taste of Home magazine in the mail. This recipe appealed to me because I like cake but I do not care for frosting. I know its weird but its true. Anyway I love pound cake and this looked like another version of one. I made it and loved it. I took some to work and shared with co-workers and they were very pleased with the results. They always asked when I would make another one. I haven't made one in a very long time. I think I might make it some time this fall.
I thought the picture made it look like cornbread but it doesn't taste or have the texture of corn bread. It's a very delicious cake. You will not be disappointed. I suggest you go to the website and do a search if you want some frosting or topping for it. I saw one for a struesel like topping. The link is above!



Hot Milk Cake

INGREDIENTS
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups milk
10 tablespoons butter or margarine

SERVINGS
12-16

PREP 20 min.
COOK 30 min.
TOTAL 50 min.
DIRECTIONS
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs at high speed until thick, about 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Combine flour and baking powder; add to batter with vanilla and beat at low speed until smooth. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter just until the butter melts, stirring occasionally. Add to batter, beating until combined. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack.



Yield: 12-16 servings.


NUTRITIONAL INFO
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 254 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.

Bon Appetit!

5 comments:

Still Patrice said...

It does look like slices of cornbread... but for a carbohydrate lover like me... even that makes my mouth water! I LOVE bread/cakes/pies lol. Pretty platter

Adrienne said...

It looks good! My great grandma use to make hot water bread...now THAT was the bomb! LOL

Virtuous said...

There you go trying to add pounds to my mid-section!! :op

@ Adrienne - GUUURRRLL I love me some hot water cornbread! STOP IT!!

KimT said...

ok, you know I have to try this! I want to make a red velvet cake as well. do you have any good recipes?

Sheila said...

Looking delicious. During the holidays I'm apponted the cake master and since everyone doesn't like frosting, I would make various cakes from carrot to yellow cake and cut them in to lil squares... ala cut cakes...lol